Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fishing weekend at Fraser's cottage

Well here are some pictures from our successful fishing trip on the weekend! We caught 8 fish in total, 2 lake trout and 6 small mouth bass! All fishies were returned to water as we don't keep what we catch unless they are not going to survive...thankfully we are pro's at getting lours out of fish mouths!

This is Fraser! He is our fishing guru! His cottage is on Lake Joseph. It's a beautiful large fresh water lake with lots of things to catch including trout, pike, large and small mouth bass and apparently walleyes...who knew! What a fantastic little smally Fraser caught on Friday!

This is my honey Aaron posing with with his lake trout! It was funny because we thought he was maybe hitting the bottom of the lake bed and then he reeled in this monster! Silly fish didn't put up a fight until he saw the boat! He was very gracious when we got him in and happily posed for this picture! We caught this guy in Fraser's bay which we kind of expected! Lots of down trees in the bay near the shore and we know how much fishes like to hid in shadows!
Last but not least is ME!!! Gave the boys the gears about how I was going to catch the Loc Ness Monster with my little pink $30 fishing rod! Instead I pulled up this bad boy! He gave me a really good fight which was awesome as he is only the second fish I have ever caught! I think that is obvious by my insane smile! I named him Fred Fish, thanked him for hopping on my line and then let him go! I even got to give him a belly rub before I did! I think he liked it! Just sort of swam away like nothing major happened!
We had a really funny discussion on the boat that Friday. We were talking about fishing 'out of season' as small mouths are not in season yet. We have come to the conclusion that we can't get in trouble for catching them out of season as we threw them all back and really, we have no control over what jumps onto the hook! Fishes just see the lours and chomp...they don't know the difference and really I don't think they care....they're just thinking about dinner!

So what did we have on our rods? I was using a white jerk bait. Which turned out to be an awesome pick as one that I almost caught, jumped off my line and spit out a little bait fish it had been eating! It just so happened to be white! The second fish I caught I was using a black Chug Bug surface lour, and I caught him off the dock at around sunset. Our pictures of this guy aren't so hot as the greedy little bugger swallowed the whole lour! Took some pliers and some finagling to get that one out but we did and sent him on his way. No time for a pose with that one!

Aaron's trout he caught using a white chatter bait which I had suggested all weekend. With the weather being all wonky and fish being persnickety (oh yeah that's right persnickety...I said it!) about weather I figured something shiny and noisy would get their attention...turns out the novice was right! (patting my own back here!)

Saturday was crappy! It rained all day! And while the boys braved the weather I stayed at the cottage and kept the fire burning...literally! They had no success during the rain but afterwards we caught one while trolling with a dipsy diver. Not bad considering that this is the first fish we have caught after a big rain.

Other things we saw at the cottage? Well, Friday we went to get some groceries and on our way down the cottage road we saw a big black bear! We stopped the car and marvelled at this animal on the side of the road and then watched it head into the bush. The surprise? When she came out of the ditch and headed into the forest following her were two little cubs! The were so fluffy and cute! It was amazing to see! Have seen only one other bear at the cottage and he was just a little guy (maybe a year or two) going for a swim.

Here is the little bear we saw last year going for a swim. You can just see his head poking out of the water. I was surprised actually how fast they can swim! We moved the boat just a bit closer for a picture and as you can see we weren't that close at all, and he just like put on the turbo!

Here is the same bear getting out of the water on the island. There are cottages on this island and when he got out of the water he just ran! We saw a cottager walking out onto his dock and warned him of the bear. He ran safely back to his cottage for his bear horn and managed to give us the courtesy wave too!

Occasionally bears will break into cottages on Fraser's lake. It's kind of scary but they seem to only do it when no one is around...which is good! You can always tell when there is a bear around as the cottagers that are up get those bear horns blasting! No hiking for us for while! At least not with Momma and her Babies out there!

All together it was a fantastic weekend! The count for the summer is as follows

Fraser 1 lake trout, 3 small mouth bass
Aaron 1 lake trout, 2 small mouth bass
Nikky (me!) 2 small mouth bass.

Oh yeah boys it's on! Me and my little pink fishing rod are going to out catch you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment